Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bookbinding experience is helpful, but not required.

Post-SPX has been spent moving and job hunting, but I do have some fun things to share. On November 1st I took Katie to the Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts to install her show. The works is beautiful, and I had a great time assisting her. The show is up until February 6th, and you can see some images here (particularly the 3rd image, for which I set the type.) I can't wait to have my own shop, these days I just want to letterpress all day, every day.

I submitted Gma Kelly's House to Asheville Bookworks' BookOpolis show "Memory Palaces." It was selected for the juried extended exhibition, which has an exhibition catalog. So, surreally, my print is in a book somebody else made. I'll scan my page when I get my copy in the mail. This is almost as exciting as getting a call number.

Also, I have a course offered this winter at Cheltenham Center for the Arts! It is called Content and Narrative in Books. I'm not sure that anybody will sign up for it, Book Arts are brand new at the Center. I feel the two workshops I have offered in January are more likely. This is a great place for my teaching career to start, though. Here is the course description:

Content development is a critical part of creating books. In this course, students learn how to generate ideas and how to turn ideas into finished books. Narrative, storytelling, relating structure with content, book dummies and bookbinding techniques will be covered while students make one of a kind and editioned books. Bookbinding experience is helpful, but not required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment